25 October 2010

Food experimentation.

Since I have yet to find an Indian restaurant that comes close to my hometown favorite Rasoi, I've decided to start cooking my favorite dishes myself.

Experiment one: Saag paneer. I ended up giving up on the paneer because I realized it would just take too long and I didn't really have the proper equipment (no cheesecloth...) to really make it happen. So I went for the tofu. Here is a rough estimation of what I did (because a part of me doesn't quite remember):

450g of baby spinach cooked down and drained
1/2oz of fresh ginger
1/2 of an onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cayenne pepper
about 1/2 cup double cream
about 1/2 cup yogurt
2/3 block tofu

The recipe I sort of followed told me to make the ginger, onion, and garlic into a paste; well...didn't really have a food processor so I used one of my flatmate's processors for this part. Ended up working pretty well...even though it was more finely chopped than a paste. The spinach part was a little more hysterical. I tried to saute some of it, and that just didn't work. So I ended up steaming most of it in the microwave, which worked pretty well. I then drained the spinach, combined it with the paste, the garam masala, the cayenne pepper, yogurt, and half the cream, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. I added the rest of the double cream, mashed it with a potato masher (which is what the recipe told me to do...weird, but I think it helped). In the middle of this, I drained the tofu, cubed it, and sauteed it in butter (not sure how much...maybe a tbsp?) and then added it to the saag. Let that sit for 10 minutes, then served it over rice.

It got a "YUM" from my flatmate J. She loves spicy foods, and it was definitely spicy. But not too much, just enough to clear the sinuses (just like at Rasoi!!). It wasn't anywhere close to as good as Rasoi, but it was definitely closer to it than anything I've had here so far! Definitely going to make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment