01 April 2012

EMS: first week conclusions

1. I know absolutely nothing off the top of my head. My feeble attempts to sound somewhat competent were pretty pathetic.
2. I managed to confuse radiography principles with ultrasound principles (aka black on ultrasound is FLUID, not AIR. Duh.)
3. I need actually ask to do things. I mean, I knew that. I realized that I would have to be a little pushy in order to get to do some procedures, but I'm just not very good at it.
4. Getting to do a ligation during a castration procedure made me feel like a REAL VET. REALLY. And I'm not kidding. I actually did something to the insides of a live animal and it LIVED. Miraculous.
5. Studying after 10 hours of standing on my feet is really hard. I leave the house at 8am and get back around 7:30-8pm. That is a really looooooooooooooong day. And then to come home and make dinner and then sit down to study...yeah, it doesn't really work so well.
6. Downtime at the vet practice means study time for me. I usually wander around first to ask if they need help, or if any in-patients need walking, but generally they push me towards the break room and practically tell me to study. They're good people.
6. There is no way that I could be anything but a veterinarian.

And that, my friends...is my EMS experience thus far.

PS: I may or may not be doing a castration solo this week. (fingers crossed)

No comments:

Post a Comment